He proved up after a year's residence here and sold the property to Frank Rheinboldt, who afterward sold it to Mrs. and was thus well qualified for his mercantile operations. People flocked in here in great numbers and the town has enjoyed a rapid and substantial advancement. Hodges is engaged in developing Lake Arthur, a town nine miles north of Artesia. At the time the artesian well was demonstrated to be a success Mr.
James Chisum, who is extensively engaged in raising goats, which has become one of the important industries of the southwest, is located at Artesia, Eddy county.
She has lived to see a good town spring up here and has benefited by the rapid development of the district.
Later Mc Millan was rechristened Lakewood, which is also called the White Town. He is president of the Pecos Valley Immigration Company, with offices in Artesia, which has done much for the building. He took up three hundred and twenty acres of land and began improvements there.
Seven Rivers, the oldest town in the county, was moved to Mc Millan, at the mouth of Seven rivers, in 1894. Crandall, Enfield, Mc Bride and Baskom became trustees. Richey has been closely associated with the development and improvement of the town from its inception. He is also the secretary, treasurer and manager of the Artesia Water, Power and Light Company, of which J. 1902, when he located at Artesia, one mile east of where the town now stands.
It is of especial interest to find one of the so-called weaker sex among the hardy pioneer class.
But the preliminary work involved sacrifice and toil, and the results of the present are the actual monuments commemorating what those still living labored hard to produce.
Chisum, one of the distinguished pioneer settlers and stock-raisers of the Territory, now deceased. Chisum, however, preceded his brother to New Mexico.
He was born in Hardeman county, Tennessee, September 25, 1827, and for many years was closely connected with business interests with his brother, John S.
About four miles from Lakewood is the old town and settlement of Seven Rivers, which was established in 1878. These two companies together drilled the first well of the town site, it being completed in July, 1903. This board was first appointed and in April, 1905, the election was held and the above named were chosen by regular ballot. He has brought over twelve hundred people to the town on excursions since the fall of 1905 and is laboring earnestly and effectively toward making the country known, that settlers may be induced to locate here and develop its rich agricultural and horticultural resources and reclaim the once wild district for the uses of civilization. He settled at Roswell on the Cunningham farm, which was later purchased by George M. He has five hundred and sixty acres of land six miles south of Artesia, which he is actively engaged in improving, and has already transformed it into a productive property, which is constantly appreciating in value. Bruce, who came to the Territory in 1898, locating first at Roswell, but soon afterward he removed to his present place, two miles east of the town of Artesia.